Skip Navigation
Oklahoma State University

Study Abroad

When you decide to Study Abroad, one of your major concerns is probably the cost - the cost of the program as well as the cost of traveling to and living in another country. If you are eligible, you may use financial aid to help pay for your study abroad experience. The course work you take while on a study abroad program must transfer back and apply towards your degree.

You may already receive financial aid to assist you with educational expenses or you may plan to apply for financial aid to help with the cost of study abroad. The following checklist will help you remember the necessary steps to take.

Study Abroad Checklist

If you plan to apply your existing financial aid to study abroad, contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at (405) 744-8435.
One of the early steps you need to take is to get a cost of living estimate from your host university. The Study Abroad coordinator, Marissa Hernandez, can help you with this step.

To apply for Federal/ State Financial Aid:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA).
  • Check your OSU e-mail and log in to Banner Student Self-Services to see if you need to provide any supporting documents (click on the "Application Status" link once you have logged in).
  • Review your financial aid awards on Banner Student Self-Services (click on the "Award Information By Year" link to review all awards and the "Accept/Decline Awards" link to accept/decline awards needing action).
  • If you are accepting a Federal Loan for the first time at OSU, you will need to complete Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) using your FSA ID (same one used to sign the FAFSA).
  • Check with the Bursar – Student Loans, 113 Student Union, telephone (405) 744-8435, regarding the processing or your promissory note if you are accepting a Federal Perkins Loan.
  • Log in to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) to view a list of the holders of any previous student loans and be sure you have requested a deferment of payment while you are studying abroad.

If you have scholarships or plan to apply for scholarships:

  • Check with the awarding agency/department to see whether you can use your scholarship money to study abroad.
  • OSU departmental scholarships may be offered specifically for study abroad. Check with the individual academic college Student Services Office.
  • Freshman and Transfer Tuition Waivers – apply by completing the OSU Application for Undergraduate Admission and Scholarships.

Important Facts To Know About Federal Financial Aid Disbursements In Regard To Study Abroad

  • Disbursement of federal student aid cannot occur until the first day of attendance at the host institution. This attendance must be confirmed by faxing official documentation to the OSU Study Abroad OfficeThat information will be forwarded to the OSU Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
  • Disbursements are divided by the type of terms at the host institution, for example, into blocks, quarters, or semester. Your financial aid may be disbursed in increments that differ from the traditional two-semester academic year.
  • If you are studying abroad for more than one block, semester or quarter, the subsequent term’s financial aid cannot be disbursed until you submit the grades for completed coursework.
  • Official grades for completed coursework at the host institution must be received before disbursement will be made to students returning to OSU for subsequent terms within the current academic year (for example, spring or summer) or for the next academic year for students returning to the U.S. in late spring or summer.

Scholarships Specific to Study Abroad Programs

National Study Abroad Scholarships